1. What are the operating hours of Penang Hill?
Open daily, Penang Hill ticket counters operation hours begin from 6.15am to 10.00pm. The funicular service starts from 6.30am and the last service is at 11.00pm from Upper Station. The funicular service will be shut down for the bi-annual scheduled maintenance that are typically held in >Jan/Feb and >Jun/July. For more information, please visit: http://www.penanghill.gov.my/index.php/en/tickets.html
2. What time do the vendors of upper station begin their operations?
Vendors at Upper Station area are typically open from 9.00am to 7.00pm.
1. How much are Penang Hill funicular ticket prices?
Penang Hill funicular ticket prices are listed in the official website of Penang Hill http://www.penanghill.gov.my/index.php/en/tickets.html
2. Where can I purchase the funicular ticket?
Ticket purchases can be made at the ticket counter located at Lower Station or online via http://www.penanghill.gov.my/index.php/en/tickets.html
3. What is Fastlane?
Penang Hill Funicular Service fast lane ticket is a premium ticket allows access to a dedicated lane for visitors who are in a hurry or have limited time to visit Penang Hill.
4. What are the privileges of online purchases?
Online purchase is encouraged to maximize your visit as a guest can collect their tickets at designated counter (No.5) and avoid the hassle of queuing to buy tickets.
5. Can I change my visit date?
6. Can I get a refund for cancellations?
Tickets purchased are NOT REFUNDABLE.
7. I am bringing my 3-year-old daughter with me. Does she need a ticket?
Admission is free for children below 4 years old and they must be accompanied by an adult.
8. Is there any special discounts?
PHC offers MyKad rate to those who present their Valid Resident ID in Malaysia (MyKad/MyKid/MM2H/Work Permit etc) at the ticket counter.
9. I am a MyKad holder, and my spouse is not. Is he/she entitled to the Mykad rate?
Yes, but ONLY for those with a Valid Resident ID in Malaysia.
10. Does the funicular ticket include entrance fees to other attractions on Penang Hill?
Tickets are only for the funicular service and visitors are free to explore Penang Hill. However, visitors who wish to visit other privately-operated attractions on the hill may be charged an entrance fee.
11. Is the sunrise/sunset rate available daily regardless of the school holiday season or public holidays?
No, they are NOT. For “Sunset-Sunrise” rates’ availabilities, kindly check our website at http://www.penanghill.gov.my/index.php/en/tickets.html
12. Is the sunrise/sunset rate available for online purchase?
“Sunset-Sunrise” tickets are only able to purchase at the ticket counter which located at Lower Station only.
13. What is the requirement to purchase the sunrise/sunset rate?
“Sunset-Sunrise” rates are only applicable to MyKad/MyKid holders. The “Sunset-Sunrise” tickets are able to purchase at the ticket counter from 6.30am – 8.00am and 7.30pm – 9.45pm.
14. Do students and school groups get any concession?
For walk-in students, no special rate is provided. However, PHC supports educational institutions with school group concessional rates. All applications must reach us no later than 5 working days prior to the date of the visit. Please visit our website at http://www.penanghill.gov.my/index.php/en/tickets.html for more information on how to apply for the concession rates.
15. How long is the queue during peak season?
This depends on the number of visitors. PHC has introduced E-boarding system, which is designed to ease queue lines by assigning a specific time to queue in the designated boarding zones according to the batch number displayed on the ticket receipt. The time slot is determined upon ticket purchases.
16. Can I bring my luggage into the funicular?
Yes, you can bring your luggage and put it in the storage compartment. Please bare in mind that our funicular coach drivers DO NOT provide the service of stowing luggage for passengers.
17. What are the payment options available to purchase the ticket at the lower station?
Cash & credit card ( Visa, Mastercard and Amex ) are acceptable for payment.
1. What are the attractions and activities on Penang Hill?
For further information kindly visit http://www.penanghill.gov.my and you may also download our digital visitors guide by clicking here Some of the attractions on the hill are privately operated, visitors who wish to visit these attractions may be charged an entrance fee.
2. Do I have a time limit to visiting the top of Penang Hill?
No, there is no time limit as long as it is within our operation hours which are from 6.30am to 11.00pm. Last funicular service is 11.00pm from the Upper Station to Lower Station.
3. Can we drive our own car up to the hilltop?
No, you may not. This requires approval from both JKR and PHC. Vehicles are permitted only for residents, business owners and contractors for the hill.
4. What are the alternative transportations available on Penang Hill? How much do they charge?
As an alternative, guest may opt for the jeep service from the Botanical Garden and the charges are approximately RM160.00 (return trip for 4 persons). This service is privately-operated.
1. How to go to Penang Hill?
For ease of travel, you may locate Penang Hill by using Waze or Google Maps. Just key in the following options; “Penang Hill”, “Penang Hill Lower Station”, “Penang Hill Car Park" as your destination and the GPS will lead you directly to Penang Hill Funicular Railway Station.
We would also like to advise everyone not to add any new keywords about Penang Hill on Waze or Google Maps to avoid confusion.
Alternatively, you may opt for public transport, such as Rapid Penang buses (204), Penang Hop-on and Hop-off buses, Taxi or Grab.
2. What is the length of the funicular railway from Lower Station to Upper Station?
The funicular track is approximately 2km in length from the Lower Station to the Upper Station. It is one of the longest funicular tracks in Asia.
3. How many passengers can the funicular accommodate?
The Funicular can accommodate approximately 100 passengers per trip.
4. Can they get off at the middle station?
Yes, they can BUT only designated trips as per schedule, for further information please proceed to the information counter.
5. Can I eat and drink inside the funicular?
Food and drinks are NOT allowed to be consumed inside the funicular. However, passengers can bring them into the funicular provided that the packaging is intact. Please take note that DURIANS ARE NOT ALLOWED to enter the funicular coaches. Penang Hill also offers a variety of dining options for everyone. It is an opportunity to explore the gastronomical delights that Penang Hill has to offer.
6. Can I smoke inside the funicular?
Smoking is NOT allowed inside the funicular. Please take note that Penang Hill is gazetted as a non-smoking zone.
7. When is the bi-annual maintenance?
The funicular service will be shutting down during the bi-annual maintenance that is typically held around Jan/Feb and Jun/July. For more information please visit http://www.penanghill.gov.my
8. How long will it take if they were to go up to the Upper Station by hiking?
Duration of a hike up to the Peak of Penang Hill depends on the fitness levels of the hiker and the hiking trail being used. Typically, a hiker can take between 1.5 hours to 3 hours to reach the peak from Lower Station when using the Heritage Trail.
9. How long does it take the funicular to reach from Lower Station to Upper Station?
A minimum of 4.5 minutes.
1. What are the payment options available?
For credit card options, you may pay with Visa or MasterCard.
For online banking options, you may pay with Maybank, CIMB, RHB, Hong Leong Bank, AmBank, BSN, AffinBank, iRakyat, Alliance Bank, Bank Islam, HSBC, KFHonline, Bank Muamalat, OCBC Bank, Standard Chartered, UOB and Public Bank.
2. How do I know if my payment got through?
Upon confirmation, you will see the payment complete page which includes a booking number. A notification with an E-Ticket attachment will be sent to the email that you used to make your booking. Alternatively, you may click on the “Download Ticket” button on the payment complete page in order to save the E-Ticket for your redemption.
3. What is 3D Secure for credit card payment?
3D Secure was created for Visa/MasterCard/JCB to further secure CNP's (Cardholder Not Present) internet transactions which creates a 'trust chain' for every secure payment made. This creation is to ensure users that even when shopping online all your information and transactions are exclusively meant to be used by you only. Each credit card has its own version, for Visa, it is "Verified by Visa" whereas MasterCard it is "MasterCard SecureCode".
4. What happens during a 3D secured credit card payment?
When you pay with a 3D secured credit card, the 3D secure service launches automatically. After entering your credit card number and submitting your payment details, a 3D secure window will appear and your card issuer will display an authentication page. Enter your OTP/ TAC number and click submit. Once your identity is verified, your will proceed to checkout.
5. What if I do not have 3D Secure?
You may still register for 3D secure services with your credit card issuing bank. For further assistance, please contact your credit card issuing bank directly for updated information regarding the 3D secured card.
6. Why was my transaction declined?
All transactions are subject to the approval of your issuing bank/payment provider. If your transaction was denied by your issuing bank, we will not be able to process your payment. Contact your issuing bank for more information regarding the failed transaction. We are unable to contact your issuing bank on your behalf due to customer privacy policies.
If your card has 3D Secure, you must authenticate your transaction to complete the payment. Your transaction will be declined if authentication fails.
7. How do I prevent my transaction from being declined?
For a successful transaction with your credit/ debit card:
• Ensure that you have sufficient credit or balance
• Ensure that your payment details have been entered correctly
• Ensure that your credit/ debit card has not been reported stolen or used for fraudulent activity
• Ensure that e-commerce transactions have been enabled for your credit/ debit card
8. Other than purchasing online at sales.penanghill.gov.my, where can I purchase ticket(s)?
You may also purchase the tickets at the ticketing counters located at Penang Hill Lower Station.
9. What notifications will I receive once my online ticket purchase is successful via the official website?
10. I did not receive E-Ticket from Penang Hill Online Website after I have made my purchase.
Kindly check on your junk/ spam mail if you do not find the E-Ticket in your inbox.
Alternatively, you may redeem the purchased ticket(s) at our ticketing counter by providing your email address or phone number to the ticketing personnel.
11. Can I change my visit date after I purchase my ticket(s) online?
12. Can I purchase the ticket online and redeem it on the same day?
No, online purchase must be made at least 24 hours before your visit date.